Alcohol Consumption as a Risk Factor for the Development of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Patients at Hospital Central de Nampula, Northern Mozambique

  • Norberto Jose Palange, Mr Rovuma University
  • Atanasio Francisco Cinquenta, Mr Lurio University
  • Isac Joaquim Presse, Mr Lurio University
  • Assane Muaiua Jamal, Mr Lurio University
  • Roberto Florencio Suli, Mr Rovuma University
Keywords: Alcohol, Type 2 diabetes mellitus, Patients.

Abstract

Introduction: Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a disorder characterized by high levels of blood glucose. Biochemically, it is classi­fied into type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes. The factors associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus include obesity, seden­tary lifestyle and alcoholism. We investigated the effect of alcohol on the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus in patients at Hospital Central de Nampula. Material and Methods: A laboratory-based and cross-sectional study was conducted. We quantified sugar and pH levels of popular beverages and analyzed 74 type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Results: distilled bev­erages had a higher sugar amount (the mean value was 14.3%, 143g) than undistilled (4.33%, 43.3g). The pH showed no signif­icant difference, and it was approximately 4. Overall, type 2 diabetes mellitus alcohol consumers were 30 (40.5%) and the ma­jority 44 (59.5%) were non-alcoholic. Most of those deemed type 2 diabetes mellitus patients had a first-degree family history of DM (47.3%; n= 35). The other 27 (36.5%) had no family history, and 12 (16.2%) did not know. Of the 27 patients with no DM family history, 16 (59.3%) consumed alcohol before the disease diagnosis, and most of them consumed undistilled beverages. The other 11 (40.7%) did not consume alcohol. Despite alcohol consumption, frequency and level were moderate. Conclusion: Our results strongly suggest that previous alcohol consumption is not a factor for the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Author Biographies

Norberto Jose Palange, Mr, Rovuma University

Faculty of Natural Sciences

Atanasio Francisco Cinquenta, Mr, Lurio University

Faculty of Life Sciences

Isac Joaquim Presse, Mr, Lurio University

Interdisciplinary Study Center

Assane Muaiua Jamal, Mr, Lurio University

Faculty of Life Sciences

Roberto Florencio Suli, Mr, Rovuma University

Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathmatics

Published
2020-08-13
How to Cite
Palange, Norberto, Atanasio Cinquenta, Isac Presse, Assane Jamal, and Roberto Suli. 2020. “Alcohol Consumption As a Risk Factor for the Development of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Patients at Hospital Central De Nampula, Northern Mozambique”. Romanian Journal of Diabetes Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases 27 (2), 120-27. http://www.rjdnmd.org/index.php/RJDNMD/article/view/717.
Section
Original Research Articles